What Are Beacons?
How Beacons Work?
- A beacon is a small tinny device, low-powered piece of hardware emitting Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) signals to nearby smart phones and tablets
- The beacon signal is a radio wave; it’s not limited by walls or doors
- The BLE emission can awaken apps on Smartphone’s (and other beacon-ready devices) within 150 – 200 feet
- This allows for location-based/proximity messaging – delivered via mobile payments, loyalty programs, coupons and content apps
General Use Beacon on Retail marketing
- Merchants can deliver in-store coupons and manage loyalty programs
- Initiate programs to help with inventory management
- Malls/stores can use beacons to introduce products, brands and other departments Sporting & Concerts:
- Promotion of team merchandise
- Notifications about food/drinks/other vendors
- Find-a-friend features
- Specific content (behind-the- scenes footage from the band or practice/interview sessions with athletes) Content delivery:
- Will be a big driver as entities develop their own branded entertainment
- Beacons will be a unique way to push content in retail environments to build relationships with customers as they shop